Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Europe Wine Adventures: Closing out

Well, the last few days got a little busier and so I didn’t get a chance to update the blog. Now that we’re back, fully in the swing of life, I figured it was a good idea to get a close-out written out.

We stayed in another cute hotel in Keyersburg. Unfortunately, it didn’t have air conditioning. But, the town was cute and both mornings Amanda and I went out for a nice walk or run along a nice path. Our hotel room had a balcony and we enjoyed sitting out on that and drinking wine or eating a snack. We did go into Colmar one day, visiting little Venice and walking around. We also went to some nice tasting rooms. One was a large cooperative and we bought several of their wines; the other was a very small husband/wife shop where the young husband made some really good wines and we had fun trying to speak English/French with him.

Our last night was back in Frankfurt. On a side note, on the drive back I got the car up to 180 km/hr! Luckily, in Frankfurt, we were able to upgrade to a room with A/C as the temp was well over 100 degrees! Amanda and I caught the trams and trains around Frankfurt a bit but in the end went back to our hotel for dinner and cooling off in our room.

Some conclusions from this trip:
1. A week wasn’t too short… it worked out well. The costs are reduced since you’re not there as long; we were able to quickly adjust to the time zone change; and, we got a good dose of the culture. I could have stayed longer, but really enjoyed the week.
2. I could live there… I think. The people were very friendly and I love the small towns.
3. I love how close everything is in Europe. Coming from Alaska that is no surprise, but I’m ready to drive, train, whatever all around there.

No comments: